Members are asked to conserve energy by shifting their use of major appliances to before 1 p.m. and after 7 p.m. on hot weekday afternoons. In cold winter months, members are encouraged to shift their use to between 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. This decreases the use of electricity during high energy demand periods, which in turn helps keep electric rates low. No sign up or switch is necessary – anyone can help out!
Specifically, members are encouraged to:
- Move the use of air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, pool pumps and dehumidifiers to seasonal off-peak times.
- Try grilling instead of heating up your oven for dinner.
- Take shorter showers during 'on-peak' times.
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees or above in the summer or 67 and below in the winter.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting.