Adams Electric awards up to 10 scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to cooperative members with their name on the bill/account (not their children) who have been accepted into or are attending a post-secondary school or accredited training program two-year, four-year or trade/technical).
The cooperative works in partnership with the Adams County Community Foundation to administer these scholarships. Applications are accepted each year from May thru July.
Applications are reviewed by Adams Electric’s Scholarship Committee in August of each year and then winners are recommended to the board of directors for final approval. Winners are typically announced in early September.
Scholarships will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a current Adams Electric Cooperative member, in good standing; must have his/her name on an active account; and must be a resident of Pennsylvania at the time of application.
- The applicant must be accepted at or already attending a post-secondary program or an accredited training program. Acceptance letter or official transcript required with application.
- A head and shoulders photo is required with application.
- The recipient shall be allowed to retain their scholarship for one year from the date of selection, even if they have dropped or are auditing courses if they are still incurring expenses equal to or greater than the amount of the scholarship. Scholarship funds are dispersed in $500 increments per semester, directly to the school a recipient will attend.
- All scholarships shall be in effect for one year from the date they are approved by the board of directors.
- Adams Electric Cooperative employees, directors, Scholarship Committee members and previous Adams Electric Scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Adams Electric Cooperative scholarships are funded by unclaimed Ownership Rewards. No funding is received through rates.