High School Collegiate Scholarships
Adams Electric awards up to 22 collegiate scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to high school seniors, who are sons and daughters of co-op members (one per public school served in co-op territories, plus up to five additional). The cooperative works in partnership with the Adams County Community Foundation to administer these scholarships. Applications, deadlines and the decision-making process vary depending on the school and the scholarship being applied for. Please read the options below to see which option applies to you or your local high school senior.
High School Collegiate Scholarships
Adams Electric awards high school seniors attending Dallastown, Dover, Gettysburg, Kennard-Dale, Red Lion, South Western, Spring Grove or Susquehannock (up to eight scholarships possible) who apply through their own schools’ individual Scholarship Foundation process. Students should check with their guidance counselor for an application and to receive application deadlines and application instructions (may include the completion of a Suggested Parental Contribution form). Recipients are chosen by each school’s Scholarship Foundation and then approved by the Adams Electric board of directors. For questions, please contact your guidance counselor or college adviser. (*Note: Trade school applicants click here.)
Adams Electric awards high school seniors attending Bermudian Springs, Biglerville, Big Spring, Chambersburg, Fairfield, Littlestown, New Oxford, Northern or Shippensburg (up to nine scholarships possible); as well as high school seniors attending cyber, private, home schools and other public schools in upper Franklin, lower Cumberland, Adams and southern and western York counties (up to five scholarships possible) who apply online through the Adams County Dollars for Scholars (DFS) web portal at www.adamscountydfs.org. Applicants must create a login and personal profile on the site to apply. Applications must be submitted between Jan. 1, and April 6, 2020, to be considered. Recipients are selected by the Adams County Community Foundation, on behalf of Adams Electric, and then approved by the co-op’s board of directors. For questions using this application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. (*Note: Trade school applicants click here.)
Any high school senior residing in Adams Electric’s service territory may apply online through the Adams County Dollars for Scholars (DFS) web portal at www.adamscountydfs.org. Applicants must create a login and personal profile on the site to apply. Applications must be submitted between Jan. 1, and April 6, 2020, to be considered. Recipients are selected by the Adams County Community Foundation, on behalf of Adams Electric, and then approved by the co-op’s board of directors. For questions using this application, please email email@example.com.
To qualify for an Adams Electric high school scholarship, each applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The student, a senior in high school, must have at least one parent or guardian currently receiving electric service from Adams Electric with an account in good standing, and the parent or guardian must live in Pennsylvania at the time of the student’s application for a scholarship.
- The student must get accepted into a post-secondary institution (two-year, four-year).
- The student should maintain a cumulative high school grade-point average of 2.0 (80 percent) or above.
- The student should show a financial need for education assistance.
- The recipient shall be allowed to retain their scholarship for one year from the date of selection, even if they have dropped or are auditing courses if they are still incurring expenses equal to or greater than the amount of the scholarship. Scholarship funds are dispersed in $500 increments per semester, directly to the school a recipient will attend.
- All scholarships shall be in effect for one year from the date they are approved by the board of directors.
- Adams Electric Cooperative employees, directors, scholarship committee members and previous Adams Electric scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Adams Electric scholarships are funded by unclaimed Ownership Rewards money. No funding is received through rates.
For more information about any of the co-op’s scholarship programs, contact Kami Noel.