Adams Electric offers college scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to cooperative members with their names on the account (not their children) who have been accepted into (or are attending) a post-secondary or accredited training program (two-year, four-year or technical). The cooperative works in partnership with the Adams County Community Foundation to administer these scholarships. Applications are accepted each year from May thru July. Recipients are nominated by Adams Electric’s Scholarship Committee in August of each year and then recommended to the Board of Directors for final selection. Winners are typically announced in early September.
Applications for 2016's Adult Scholarship are no longer being accepted. Check back next year.
Scholarships will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a current Adams Electric Cooperative member of at least one year, in good standing; must have his/her name on an active account; and must be a resident of Pennsylvania at the time of application.
- The applicant must be accepted at or already attending a post-secondary program or an accredited training program. (Acceptance letter or official transcript required with application.)
- Adams Electric Cooperative employees, directors, Scholarship Committee members and previous Adams Electric Scholarship recipients are not eligible for continuing education scholarships.
- Any scholarship recipient shall be allowed to retain their scholarship for one year from the date of selection, even if they have dropped or are auditing courses, as long as they are still incurring expenses equal to or greater than the amount of the scholarship. (Scholarships are dispersed in $500 increments, per semester.)
- All scholarships shall be in effect for one year from the date they are approved by the Board of Directors.
Note: At this time, the co-op does not offer scholarships to students, residing with their parents, who are currently attending a college or university. Applicants must be a bill-paying member of the cooperative.
Adams Electric Cooperative scholarships are funded by unclaimed Ownership Rewards (patronage capital) money. No funding is received through rates.