Timeline of Adams' History
July 18, 1940: A handful of farmers meet at the Gettysburg Farm Bureau office to explore the formation of a co-op.
Aug. 21, 1940: Adams Electric Cooperative is incorporated. A meeting is held at the Farm Bureau building, where the new Adams Electric co-op rented an office space. Nine incorporators are named as the first directors and Cecil Dunbar is elected as the first president.
Oct. 1940: Adams Electric receives its first REA loan. Calvin Cluck from McKnightstown is hired as the first manager.
Dec. 12, 1940: The co-op's first district office opens on South Earl Street in Shippensburg.
Jan. 30, 1941: "The Battle of the Pole Holes" occurs as a non-violent battle involving local residents who refill pole holes dug by Pennsylvania Power and Light Company, in order to try to prevent the invading electric company from taking over the territory.
May 3, 1941: Substations at Gettysburg and Shippensburg are energized and begin to bring power to Adams Electric for the first time.
Oct. 11, 1941: Lack of a quorum turns first scheduled annual meeting at Caledonia State Park into a social function.
May 1, 1942: Adams Electric buys property for headquarters at 153 North Stratton Street, Gettysburg. The co-op moves to its new location in 1943.
Feb. 1948: The co-op invests in a radio system in order to communicate with trucks out in the territory area, after approval from the board for the $5,819 project.
Sept. 1949: Florence H. Finger is hired as a home economist to help with marketing awareness of electricity. The co-op builds a model kitchen at the Headquarters in Gettysburg to help the marketing efforts.
Feb. 1951: The co-op reaches 5,000 accounts. The average monthly bill is $6.67, based on monthly use of approximately 230 kWh and cost of $.029 per kWh.
Nov. 1954: Pennsylvania Rural Electric Association is incorporated and Director Howard Schwartz is named as Adams’ first representative.
July 25, 1957: The first meeting of the Membership Educational Board, which is later called the "Minutemen" in 1962. Today the group is known as the Membership Advisory Committee or MAC.
July 14, 1959: Penelec, the neighboring investor-owned utility, sends a dinner invitation, which Adams Electric turns down. The invitation was requesting dinner with the directors, the president of Penelec, and the local manager of Met-Ed, in order to discuss “items of mutual interest.”
May 11, 1960: The 25th anniversary of Rural Electrification Day. This is also the same year of Adam Electric's 20th anniversary year.
Nov. 1, 1960: Calvin Cluck resigns as manager after twenty years of service.
Feb. 20, 1961: John Kershaw begins as general manager.
Mar. 17, 1961: Employees vote to be represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (ALF-CIO), Local 126. Negotiations take six months before the contract takes effect on Oct. 1, 1961.
June 18, 1963: The Board makes the movement to bring the problem of the harassment by investor-owned utilities, attempting to extend their service to Adams Electric, be brought to the attention of PREA.
1964: Adams Electric makes its first patronage capital retirement of $51,782.
June 9-12, 1964: Adams Electric sends three students to Washington D.C. on the first national Rural Electric Youth Tour. It was part of twenty-three student delegation from Pennsylvania.
July 20, 1965: Adam Electric’s largest commercial power contract is signed with Charnita, Inc. (Ski Liberty).
Sept: 29, 1966: The Board receives a letter from J. Franklin Smith, the Vice President of Penelec, addressed to William F. Matson, the PREA manager. The letter outlines a buy-out offer, which the Board declines with the authorization of President Trout.
Oct. 1966: The first issue of Penn Lines, the monthly newsmagazine sent to co-op members in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, is published.
Oct. 18, 1967: Another large commercial account is added with allowing service to the Lake Meade community and Valley Quarries.
1970: The co-op reaches 10,000 accounts. A member’s average monthly bill is $16, based on monthly use of approximately 800 kWh and a cost of $.02/kWh.
Apr. 1971: Charlie Overman is hired as general manager.
Nov. 1973: The pole inspection program begins and new techniques are used to extend the life of poles, in order to avoid the high cost of pole treatment.
May 10, 1974: The new Stewartstown District office opens on Biglerville Road.
June 27, 1975: A third new district office opens on West King Street in Shippensburg.
July 30, 1975: The Territorial Protection Act, which protects utility service territories, is signed by Governor Milton Shapp.
Jan. 7, 1982: The for-profit TV cable company SCATCOM is incorporated.
Dec. 28, 1982: The York District office on Trinity Road opens, replacing the office in Stewartstown.
July 23, 1984: Charlie Overman resigns as the general manager and Joe Cole, the manager of finance and management services, is named acting general manager.
Feb. 1985: Project Helping Hand is started to assist members who are having trouble paying their electric bills.
May 1985: Dan Murray is hired as general manager. The annual meeting is moved from Fairfield Road to South Mountain Fairgrounds.
Feb. 23, 1987: Adams Electric sells SCATCOM to PA Classic Cable.
Oct. 1986: The co-op installs load control units for coordinated load management system at Gettysburg substation. By 2005, over 10,000 members volunteer to have load control receivers installed.
Sept. 1987: There are 20,000 accounts comprising the co-op. Average monthly bill is $93, based on monthly use of approximately 990 kWh and a cost of $.094/kWh.
Aug. 21, 1990: Adams Electric celebrates its 50th anniversary with the dedication of a historical plaque honoring rural electric cooperatives. The plaque is located along Route 34 near the Gettysburg District office.
1996: The first Adams Electric website is launched at www.adamsec.coop.
1997: 25,000 accounts are reached. Average bill is $97, based on a monthly use of 1,050 kWh and a cost of $.093/kWh.
Dec. 8, 1998: Adams Utility Services Co. (AUSCO) acquires Aero Oil. The name is changed to Aero Energy soon after.
Jan. 1, 1999: This is the first full year of power supply deregulation. Adams Electric is fully deregulated, but no electric generation suppliers choose to serve co-op members.
1999: Judy Queitzsch of New Freedom joins the Board, becoming the first female director.
2003: Director David Cowan is elected as president of NRECA.
Aug. 14, 2003: Blackout of 2003 leaves 50 million without power. Only northwestern section of Pa. is affected.
2005: General Manager Dan Murray announces his retirement. The Board reviews cooperative succession plan.
Feb. 2006: The 5th CEO and general manager Steve Rasmussen, begins employment.
2007: New generation of automated meters and load control devices installed.
Nov. 2008: One of the nation’s first hybrid electric bucket trucks is put into service at Adams Electric.
2010: Solar panels are installed and put into operation behind the Headquarters building in Gettysburg.
2010: The launch of the Facebook page, in order to keep members up-to date on restoration and service on outages during major storms. In 2012, a Twitter page was also created.